Many indoor plant owners choose their plants based on their external beauty, and ask themselves how to care for them later or not at all. If you’ve ever been interested in gardening, you’ve probably wondered how to identify the plant in front of you. With the help of new technologies, this question is solved very quickly and conveniently, with the help of your smartphone. For a long time now, specialized programs have appeared on the market of mobile applications, which help users to identify the type of plant and not only!
Applications for plant identification have a lot of functions available in both paid and free versions. For example, in such applications, you can learn detailed information about your flower in a pot, clarify information on quality care for it, discuss the nuances of care on forums among owners of similar flowers, calculate what the plant is sick.
Well, of course, such applications, first of all, help to find out the type of plant. Nowadays, most often, in applications to recognize plants built-in artificial intelligence, which helps quickly and almost error-free to determine the type of flower. Today, we will look at the top 5 best plant identification app and describe their functionality.
1. First on our list would be the PLNT app. The percentage of correct plant recognition is 98.7% accurate. In the app, you will find a lot of useful information such as plant species, diseases, and flower care. PLNT has the following useful features: a watering schedule, so you always remember to water your favorite plant, recognition of plant diseases from photos, and useful tips for treating plants. There are also additional, but no less important functions, such as a light meter, calculation of the amount of water needed for watering, and a “Blog” section where you can find useful articles about indoor and garden plants.
2. The second place in our rating is taken by the PlantNet application. This is one of the most popular applications for recognizing plants. The recognition rate is quite high, about 90%. The application database contains a huge amount of information about trees, flowering plants, cacti and many other types of flora. This app does not work based on artificial intelligence but with the help of user knowledge base. Therefore, to recognize an indoor flower, you need to upload a photo and wait for a response from other users who are constantly adding unknown species to the app.
3. The third place in our rating is occupied by PictureThis. The program recognizes more than 17,000 plant species from the user’s photo with an accuracy of up to 98%. Here you will find an extensive database with high-quality photos and background information about various plants from all over the world. The app also provides information on how to properly care for plants for effective growth, thanks to many tips from the app’s users. PictureThis has an optional watering reminder feature. If you have many photos of your plant, you can share them with other users and talk about your flower care experience. It is also available for the user to create their own collections of their favorite plants.
4. The fourth place rightfully goes to the FlowerChecker app. It is focused on identifying not only plants, flowers, but can also recognize mosses, lichens, and fungi. The identification process in FlowerChecker is based on human resources, so in order to find out what kind of plant you have at home, you need to upload its photo to the application. To increase the accuracy of identification, we advise adding photos of leaves as well, so users can see the plant in more detail. The recognition process may take a while, but the recognition accuracy can be up to 100%, and you can ask other users many questions about care and watering.
5. In the last place is LeafSnap. This is one of the best applications if you need to find out what kind of plant is in front of you. The recognition rate is quite high, about 90%, and LeafSnap recognizes not only indoor plants, but also garden trees. To successfully identify a plant, all you need to do is take a photo of the plant’s leaf. The app then determines its exact shape using an algorithm developed by Columbia University and the University of Maryland. If LeafSnap can’t recognize the plant, it will ask the user additional questions, such as data about where the plants grow, what their flowers and seeds look like.
Thus, plant recognition applications are a convenient tool for care of information retrieval, clarification of details on the care of indoor plants. Applications of this type are quite a lot, they differ in principles of operation, functionality, cost, and the possibility of installation on different operating systems. In any case, when choosing an application for plant identification, pay attention to the functionality, so that the new icon in your smartphone will be as useful as possible.